Researches carried out in Ardahan which dates back to historical eras reveals the ruins which dates back to Old Bronze Age in the region. Ardahan was gained to the lands of Ottoman Empire in 1551 and it became “Ardahan District”. The city which had been under Russian occupation for 40 years until 1918 following 1877 Turkish-Russian War named as The ‘97 War was gained to Turkey as a result of Moscow and Kars Agreements made in 1921. Ardahan had been a district of Kars until 1992 but it became the 75th province of Turkey in 1992. Since it has been the door of various trade routes opening to Caucasus and Black Sea throughout the history, it has maintained its significance each period.